Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hobby Desk

Newly organized.
I am a bit of a neat freak, at least when it comes to places I work.  Whether it be the desk where I pay bills and write, my Scuba repair bench, or hobby desk, I find it difficult to concentrate on the task at hand when I'm surrounded by clutter and chaos.  Many times I will have to stop whatever I'm working on and spend time cleaning and organizing before I can continue.

Unfortunately, the way I had my hobby area arranged, it was impossible to keep clean and organized.  It didn't matter if the project was small or large, I would always end up with clutter as I moved objects here and there to make room for what I was doing.  I felt like I was moving object A to location 1 to paint then moving object A to another spot only to move it back during the next step.  "Hey, take that dirt and put it there and when you're done, bring it back here."


The main painting area.

Well, no more (hopefully).  I recently spent a few hours over the last couple of days rearranging my work area.  I was able to create a rather efficient system to combat the clutter generating method I used before.  Now I have an areas for priming, basing, and of course, painting.  For the most part, the required tools for a certain task are in the appropriate area and easily accessible.  Also, the way I have it arranged now, I will be able to have several different projects going at the same time without having to break down one project before moving to another.  This is incredibly important to me since I have trouble focusing on the same project for more than a few days at a time.  I now know how ADD kids feel.  I'm simply unable stick with one task until it is complete before starting another and another.  How odd now that I think about it....I'm not that way with anything else except for my hobbies.  Hmmm..... 

I hope this new system works.  My fear however is that with the increased space, I'll just start additional projects and fill my work area again.

Basing, scenery, and conversion area.

Proof that I can actually complete a project!



I've seen some great hobby desks on the internet.  If anyone is actually reading this blog, what does yours look like?

2 comments:

  1. What a great setup and I've bumped into someone with more unpainted metal than me! Wait until I tell my wife - I'll just have to go get some new figs - haha!

    Here's my desk:
    http://minipaint.blogspot.com/2010/09/hobby-desk.html

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hobby desk Rick. Though I had to take the month of May off from hobbies, I hope to put a dent into some of my unpainted minis soon. I would be glad to pass the torch on to you for "most unpainted metal". It's something I'm not proud of....

    ReplyDelete