Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hobby ADD

I've long known that I had a hobby problem... a dirty little secret if you will.  But it's time to come out with the truth and admit my disorder.  I have hobby ADD.  Yes, it's true.  I have trouble concentrating on a single hobby, or even a single aspect of any given hobby.  I ramp up and go full steam ahead on one and then, as suddenly as if a light switch were turned off, I change course and travel in another direction.  It's not that I no longer enjoy the hobby I suddenly dropped.  No, that is not it at all.  The poor discarded project is still there and though it may feel unloved for a time, it's always in the back of my mind, lingering like a long lost friend.  My problem is that I can't get enough of my hobbies in general and I'm always moving forward, looking for the next buzz.

Yes, I have a problem.

Rather than try to hide it, I thought my inability to concentrate might be fun to track.  As yet another project, I am going to monitor my hobby trends over the next year and see if there is a method to my madness.  I'll start off with a simple text matrix until I figure out how I am going to display the data.  To make things easier, and to fit the theme of this blog, I will only track my gamer/geeky pursuits and not add other pastimes like sports or lifestyle.  So....for the month of January 2011:


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Obsession - Legends of the High Seas
Past Obsession - N/A
Looming Obsession - Ambush Alley?


Lord of the Rings SBG = 6*
Warhammer Fantasy = 5*
Warhammer 40K = 5*
Pathfinder RPG = 3-
A Song of Ice and Fire RPG = 6+
Flames of War = 5*
Wings of War = 8*
D&D 4ed = 1*
D&D 3.5 = 4*
D&D old school = 6*
Axis and Allies War at Sea = 7-
Legends of the High Seas = 10+
Terrain Making = 7+
Miniature Painting (general) = 7+
Lord of the Rings Online = 6-
Pirates of the Burning Sea = 4+
Pirates of the Spanish Main = 6*

(The scale is 1-10 with one being the lowest on the current interest scale and ten being the highest.  "-" indicates a negative trend and "+" indicates a positive while "*" signifies no change from the previous month.)

So there it is.  If I think of anything else to add I'll come back and edit.  I will be interested to see what happens over the next few months.  The only problem I see with my methodology is that it does not account for my weekly or daily altered views.  But this will have to do.  I simply do not have enough time in my day to keep track of my warped mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment