Wednesday, July 27, 2011

OptiVisor

I am thinking about purchasing an OptiVisor for close detail work.  I currently have a magnification lamp on my hobby desk that provides great light and allows me to look at my not-so-handy work but I find it difficult to actually paint while looking through the glass.  The problem is that to get the right focus and magnification, I have to hold the miniature fairly close to the lens.  In doing so, the edge of the lamp often interferes with end of the paint brush and causes my carefully aimed spec of paint to go horribly astray.  Usually this happens when completing facial features and requires an awful lot of work to repair.



So, as I stated above, I am thinking of purchasing a head mounted option.  I am unsure of what power of magnification would be appropriate for painting 28mm miniatures.  Does anyone have an experience with the OptiVisor and if so, what model/magnification would you suggest? 

Thanks in advance for the advice. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't speak from experience, but I am interested in getting one of these too.
    I think the '5' lens looks about right for painting models as its focal length is 8", which is about the distance I hold a model up from my face to paint it.

    ReplyDelete