Sunday, January 02, 2011

2011 New Year's Resolutions

It's that time of year again when the slate is clean and we all look for a new beginning.  We find ourselves looking back at the year that has ended and planning for the one that has just begun.  And while I, along with countless others have made the standard New Year's resolutions such as getting into shape or making more money, it's also an opportunity to set goals and plans for the hobby side of life.  So, after much deliberation, here are my New Year's Hobby Resolutions for 2011.

Keep a Current Hobby Blog:  I've had several false starts here and I'm not quite sure of the problem.  It's not like I don't write often (I do) or have nothing to post about (plenty of projects).  Maybe I'm pressed for time or perhaps I do not prioritize my tasks.  Whatever the reason, 2011 is the time to overcome my lack of blogging about my hobbies.  My goal is to post at least once a week for the entire year.  The posts do not have to be deep philosophical inquiries into the nature of the hobby nor do they need to be award winning journalism.  I just need to sit down and write about what I'm doing and/or working on.  Can I do it?  Well, I know I can beat last year's total.  All I have to do is post more than twice.  We'll see come this time next year.

Paint More Miniatures:  Though I was able to finish off a few during the last few months of 2010, last year was not a banner year for miniature painting.  My work station is full of miniatures in various states of progress (or lack thereof).  At last count, I have over 800 unpainted miniatures (not counting my growing 15mm FoW collection) and 67 partially painted.  I could paint two a day this entire year and still not clear my back log (especially since I'm a chronic miniature collector) but this year I intend to put a good dent in my inventory.  I'm reluctant to predict a total to aim for since any number of distractions could happen but I'm going to do it anyhow.  One hundred miniatures.  That's my goal.  I want to finish at least one hundred miniatures (and that means fully completed - bases and all) by December 31st 2011.  Ouch!

Shelves lined with miniatures.
Make More Terrain:  I really got into terrain making this year.  Islands for Pirates of the Spanish Main  and Axis and Allies War at Sea along with Rohan cottages for LotR were just some of my projects.  I was even able to sell a few pieces on Ebay.  I would like to continue this trend and turn out more pieces this year.  I need more cottages and buildings for my Rohan game board as well as general scenery such as trees and hills.  What I foresee taking up most of my terrain building time is an idea I have for Legends of the High Seas.  I would like to build a small Spanish/Caribbean town for my pirates to raid.  That should be fun.

Field My Cadians:  Yep.  They are still sitting on the work desk in various states of completion.  This is the year that I finally get them painted and on the field of battle.  If I did so, not only would I meet this goal, but I would advance my effort to paint 100 miniatures this year forward by 75 models.  I don't know if I'll have time, but I would also like to finish the three vehicles I have for my Cadian army.

Find An RPG Group:  I have quite a few RPG's sitting around not getting any use.  Every edition of Dungeons and Dragons, MERP, Pathfinder, A Song of Ice and Fire (two different games), Pendragon, LotR RPG, and a few others are gathering dust on my shelves.  I'd like to find a group, preferably somewhat local so I do not have to drive an hour up to Miami, that I can play with on a semi-regular schedule.  Alas that I live in paradise.  Great place to live but woefully void of gamers.  This may be the most difficult goal to achieve.

Organize A Wings of War Campaign:  During the last part of 2010, I met a few guys up in Miami that enjoy playing the game.  I think they would be more than willing to participate in a campaign that lasted a few months.  The big issue would be planning.  The drive up to Miami would get old very quickly and I can foresee scheduling being an issue as well.  I hope this works out though.

Spend More Time With My LotRO Kinship:  I founded the Waywatchers of Cardolan back in closed beta of LotRO (Feb of '97) and have been running it continuously since then.  We've had some ups and downs over the years as far as membership goes but we're still here quietly making noise.  In fact, we are the oldest RP Kinship on the Landroval server and possibly the entire game.  However, I've been drifting further and further away from the game for the past year or so.  It's now difficult to find the motivation to log into Middle-earth one night a week for our Thursday night RP sessions, much less at any other point during the week.  My lack of play time is showing in our membership levels.  I still have a few old timers left but we are bare bones.  It's not that we do not get applications.  It's just that when play frequency is so low its hard to keep recruits interested.  Everything is new to them and they are in a rush to do it all.  We are all lifetime members and in no rush and the difference in attitude and play style tends to push recruits to more active/new kinships.  My goal is to put in at least five hours a week into the game and Kinship.  That's a large block of time for someone who has way too many pastime pursuits and hobbies, but I will give it a shot and see what happens.

The Argent Star - heraldry for the Waywatchers of Cardolan.

Well, I could go on and on and list additional goals I would like to achieve this year but I think my list is getting to the point where anything more would be unrealistic and quite overwhelming.  I'll do what I can to keep the above resolutions, but I will also keep in mind that in reality, its all just a game and real life always comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment