Thursday, May 29, 2014

DSM Dragon Diorama WIP: Please Don't Make Me Paint More Coins

OK.  This is it.  This post will be the last WIP for the base.  The next will not go up until the base is completely finished and the dragon is ready to be mounted.

All the gold coins have been painted.  Each and every little coin was done by hand.  Though I was tempted (OK, very tempted at the end), I was able to avoid drybrushing.  It took forever but I'm glad I stuck with my original plan.  


All that is left to do now is go back and change a few of the gold coins to silver to break up the monotony of gold.  That shouldn't take me very long.  A good number were already completed at the last WIP post.  Plus I'm keeping the total number of silver coins fairly low.

A bit more work does need to be done to the rest of the base, however.  The stone needs two additional layers of highlighting and then some weathering.  The weapons have only received basecoats so they will need some more work as well.  The gravel will require the most attention though.  I plan to layer up to a rather light brown then attach a significant amount of flock and foliage.


Though I did not take photos, the dragon has also received several basecoats.  Whenever I needed to rest my poor eyes from painting tiny coins I would work on the dragon.  Before I knew it the dragon was prepped, primed, and coated in dark red.  I like it when work gets done without effort.  I just wish that would happen more often.  Once the base is finished I will start working on him full time.  He is MASSIVE!

This project is taking up a large portion of my hobby time but I have not abandoned the rest of my miniatures.  I just completed a hobbit for the LotR SBG and a pirate for LotHS.  I'll post photos of both minis soon.

Thanks for checking in on the WIP and thanks for reading!

10 comments:

  1. I think this is looking really good. A lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. It has been a lot of work but even though I complain about it now and then, I have actually enjoyed it. I'll have the base done soon.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmm, think ya shoulda made more of the coins silver. :)

    Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to see the silver coins in the photo. I used my iPhone again to snap the quick photos. Once I get more of them painted and use a better camera hopefully the coins will become more apparent. If not I guess I'll have to paint more damn coins. Ha!

      Thanks for reading Ivan!

      Delete
  3. Super job and commitment. Not sure I would have been able to resist just drybrushing/shade washing the whole thing! Looking forward to this progressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a glutton for punishment!

      Thanks for reading Scott!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Good progress on the base and good new on the dragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy! I'm definitely on the home stretch now.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's a really nice piece. Subscribed and following along.

    ReplyDelete