Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bombur

I'm still officially on a break from my Thorin & Co. project.  But when I sat down at the desk the other night to finish my previous miniature, I realized that Bombur was nearly complete.  All I needed to do was add a few highlights to move him out of the painting queue.  So I made an exception to my forced hiatus from those pesky Tolkien dwarves and polished off the big guy.


Bombur had zero lines in the theatrical release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (perhaps that will change with the upcoming extended edition).  It seems like all he did was eat.  Just like the lines on that jolly dwarve's script, my screen is pretty much blank when it comes to talking about the miniature.  It's a fine sculpt, for sure, and GW did a good job rendering the likeness of Bombur onto the mini, but that's all I got.  There's simply nothing special about Bombur or my paint job.  So instead of my usual running commentary, I'll just end here and leave visitors with a few more photos. 

I need some inspiration to finish off the last four dwarves.  Any ideas to get my dwarven groove going?

As always though, thanks for reading!!!















9 comments:

  1. Good job mate! You are almost done with the "Thorins Company" prject. I recommend to listen the sandtrack or watch the trailer of the next movie to get inspired. Come on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. I've been playing the soundtrack all weekend long. Hopefully that will get my dwarven beat going!

      Delete
  2. Nice job. Thus far I have only managed to base coat Balin, then got distracted by other stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you have. Your blog looks incredibly busy with lots of wonderful projects. Though FoW and some of your other current interests are not my cup of tea, I still visit regularly to see your splendid work. Not matter the genera, you do it well. Maybe one day you'll be able to do more LotR and LotHS stuff.

      Delete
  3. In addition to listening to the soundtrack, I took your advice as well and tried to watch the movie over the weekend. I barely made it out of The Shire due to time constraints but I saved my progress. By the time I sit down next time to resume the movie, I should be dealing with the trolls. As you say, a good battle will hopefully get the creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My advice for inspiration would be to re-read some parts of the book. I know time is scarce but there is no substitute for Tolkien's own descriptions. I'm not fond of this figure, what with the giant pretzel beard, but you did a very nice job of polishing him up and making him presentable. I'm looking forward to the last 4 and some group shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretzel beard...ha! First time I've heard that one.

      You are correct about The Professor's words!

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:37 AM

    Hi,

    Just wanted to let you know, I just found your site and, although I don't paint miniatures myself, I have very much enjoyed reading through your blog and checking out your work. My favorites so far have to be the different pirates you had done last year. They are a lot of fun.

    Bombur here is my favorite Tolkien character I have seen you do though so... kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! It's funny you should mention pirates. I have a post still in draft form detailing more work on my Legends of the High Seas project. Look for it soon.

      Thanks for reading!!!!

      Delete