Friday, May 03, 2013

Dwalin the Dwarf

Another week, another dwarf.  Though I said I was going to take a break from the Thorin & Company project for a while, I was still able to complete yet another member and take one more step to finally putting the dwarves behind me.


I'm still in my little slump so just as with Dori, I will refrain from the painting cometary. There is not much to say about him beyond the fact that of the dwarves included in the set, Dwalin is one of my favorite sculpts.


Hopefully with the break I intend to take from Thorin & Company, I'll get some of my enthusiasm back for The Hobbit miniatures.  If not, I have tons of other painting projects to keep me busy for decades.


My apologies for the sluggishness of the posts and indifference to the material.

As always, thanks for reading.....


8 comments:

  1. I also think Dwalin is the best sculpt of the set and you have made justice of him. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. For me, the best sculpt of the set is a tie between Dwalin, Oin, and Bofur. All three are extremely well done and were fun to paint.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Well done Scott, good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. Still waiting for your versions.....

      Delete
  3. I really like this sculpt, and your did a very nice job with painting him up.

    Is there something specific that is driving the apathy toward Thorin & Co.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. Thanks for the compliment.

      You pose a very good question...one that I really haven't given much thought to. I think several factors are adding up to create the apathy toward the dwarves. Probably the most pressing issue for me is the fact that I'm the world's slowest painter. I've been working on these guys on and off since I purchased the set on release day. It seems like this is the project that has no ending. I have a serous "ooh look....shiny" syndrome and I'm notorious for beginning projects and then moving on to something else. I think I put a lot of pressure on myself to finish all of the dwarves before beginning other miniatures. So to make a long story even longer, I think my hobby A.D.D. is simply catching up to me. Maybe I should just knock out one non-dwarven miniature to ease the symptoms then return to the project with renewed vigor. Ha!

      Thanks for making me think about what has been bothering me about the project and thanks even more for reading!

      Delete
  4. My only problem with this sculpt is it seems a little to tall and slim for a dwarf. He's just not SQUAT enough for me. However, overall he's very dwarven in character and I love all the weaponry. I think your work on the face is really well done. That's one of the nicest heads I've seen for a while. Others have mentioned it before but the eyes are just about perfect for me. Mine usually come out with a little less white, but are very similar. Eyes and faces can really make or break the overall effect. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, he is rather tall and "un-dwarfy". Overall though, Dwalin is still a wonderful sculpt.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete